ES News Email

A lawyer is set to be questioned by police after two men died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from an allegedly faulty boiler in her rental property.

Usharehka Chelvendra, 34, a partner at Elstree-based law firm Brightstone, is also being investigated by Harrow council over claims the house was not licensed for multiple occupation. 

The victims, aged 38 and 42, were discovered dead at the address in Edgware on Sunday afternoon. Five others — two men, a woman, a toddler and a baby boy — were also found at the semi-detached property in Bacon Lane and taken to hospital as a precautionary measure. They have since been discharged.

Ms Chelvendra, a former pupil at the £17,000-a-year Haberdashers’ Aske’s School for Girls in Elstree, bought the house in 2011 for £323,500.


Police at the house in Edgware (NIGEL HOWARD)

Her father, Christy Chelvendra, 72, was said by neighbours to manage the property on her behalf and to be blaming a lettings agency.

The house was being rented by two Romanian families who had moved in in the past few weeks. One tenant, who gave his name as Daniel, said: “I told the landlord we need to change the boiler. He said, ‘I’m coming, I’m coming,’ but he didn’t come. I told him nearly two weeks ago.”

The family are understood to rent out a number of other properties.

Ms Chelvendra works in the commercial litigation department at Brightstone, acting for financial institutions. The firm declined to comment. Messages to Ms Chelvendra and her father requesting a response went unanswered.

Source

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/lawyer-faces-police-questioning-after-carbon-monoxide-deaths-at-rental-property-a3810131.html

About london property expert

No Comments

Be the first to start a conversation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *